General Information

In some cases, lost property is handed in to local Police Stations where our Officers, depending on the item, will make reasonable efforts to try and trace the owner. For example, if a purse or wallet containing a driver's license has been handed in, we will write to the person named on the ID informing them that we are in possession of this property and ask them to make contact.

Any lost property will be logged onto our Gwent Police Lost and Found Property System. If you have lost an item, you can report it to Gwent Police on 101 or visit your local Police Station.

If you have lost your dog, please contact your Local Authority who will be able to help you.

For any other lost animal please contact the RSPCA or your local vet.

You can also visit the national pet register to report lost and found animals.

Where to find information

OrganisationContact NumberWebsite
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council01874 624704

Caerphilly County Borough Council01443 815588 or 01495 226622

Monmouthshire County Council01633 644644

Newport City Council01633 656656

Torfaen County Borough Council01495 762200

RSPCA0300 123 0744



If you lose your phone, you should contact your service provider as soon as possible to have your phone blocked. Contact details can be found on your mobile provider's website.

If you have not already done so, you should register your phone to this database by visiting the Immobilise website, as it will increase the likelihood of your phone being returned to you if it is lost and handed in.

If you lose your driving licence you should contact the DVLA lost or stolen licence replacement to report it.

If you lose your bank or credit card, you should contact your bank immediately and report it so that the card can be cancelled.

If you have lost your house keys then, in the first instance, you should contact a local locksmith or your insurance company who will contact one on your behalf. The locksmith will get you into your house with the minimum of damage and be able to fit new locks to ensure that your property is safe.

If you have lost your car keys you need to contact the manufacturer of your vehicle who will obtain replacement keys. Modern vehicles with immobilisers may require specialist keys with transponders that can only be obtained from the manufacturer.

If you have a spare key to the vehicle you can use this to gain entry and should try to obtain this to get your vehicle home or to a garage.

If a certified firearm is lost you must inform the Police immediately. Contact Firearms Licensing.

Lost identity cards should be reported to the issuing organisation.

Misplaced or lost badges should be reported to the Local Authority that issued them.


Contact Number


Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council

01874 624704

Caerphilly County Borough Council

01443 815588 or 01495 226622

Monmouthshire County Council

01633 644644

Newport City Council

01633 656656

Torfaen County Borough Council

01495 762200



Any lost documents should be reported to the relevant issuing authority.

To cancel a lost or stolen passport contact

If you have lost any prescription drugs or medicines, contact your GP/medical practitioner. Re-trace your steps and make enquiries in the area where you think you may have lost them.